For some school communities, taking school portraits means that one of your yearbook team members is lining up all of the students and taking the photos themselves to upload for the yearbook, and you will not have a PSPA file to upload for professional portraits. However, you can absolutely still use this portrait tool to get all of the headshots of your community into the yearbook without the need for an index or PSPA file to upload!
- Please note, if you have a portrait file from your photographer, make sure you are following the instructions to upload that file: Portrait Importer: Importing Portraits with Portrait Auto Flow If you are having problems with your PSPA file, you or your photographer can review this resource, Understanding Portrait Files but please reach out to our team if you need assistance. The following instructions should only be used by schools who do not have a PSPA file available.
- If you are sourcing portraits from the parents/students to upload their own image, we also have the Community Portraits option available. We only suggest utilizing this option if they are uploading those portraits themselves, and you can find more instructions on how those work right here: Setting Up Community Portraits
1. If you do not have a Portrait file but wish to upload portraits, you will not start from the Portraits tab on your Dashboard. Click Edit Yearbook and navigate directly to the page that you want the portraits to be on.
2. Once your page spread is open, click on the Portraits tab on the left. The Portraits Options menu will open. Click on Add/Edit Portraits. Make sure to indicate which side of the page you are working on.
3. If you have any portraits already on this page, they will show up on this screen. If you are starting from a blank page, this pop up will be blank as well. Click on Add Portraits.
4. From here, you will need to navigate to the location where you have the portraits saved. Your options are:
- My Computer - Select if you have not uploaded the photo to Treering
- Photos - Select if you have already uploaded the photo to Treering
- Portraits - Select if you are moving or copying a photo from another portrait section
- Baby Photos
- Google Drive
- Google Photos
5. You can select one photo or multiple photos to upload as Portraits at one time. After they have been selected, they will show up and prompt you to enter a first and last name for each portrait so that they will automatically flow in alphabetical order. You can also utilize such options as Move to Front or change the Order, which will allow you to move specific portraits that you may not want in alphabetical order. When you are finished, select Done.
Please note, if you need to come back later to add or edit their names, you can. But unless names are entered, they will not flow in alphabetical order.
6. After you close the Add Portraits box, all of the photos will be added to the page in alphabetical order.
Note: You should only add the portraits to each page that you want to reflect in that class/grade in the yearbook. When you are ready to work on a new class, you will navigate to the next page that you want to put portraits on and repeat the process. If the next class should be on the opposite side of the page, you just need to ensure you switch what page you are editing from on the top left.
If you need to move to a new spread entirely, return to your Spreads view and select the next page.
If you accidentally upload a student to the wrong class, you do not need to upload again, just move them to the correct class after you start that portrait page.
7. After you have uploaded the portraits to each page or section individually, the rest of your time spent working with portraits will be following the same steps as if you had uploaded the portraits from a professional file! Here are some additional instructions that may be useful as you continue to work with Portraits: